Oh, coconut. This post is a love song, a desperate ode, a passion poem. To coconut, my long-lasting love. Its fluffy, white, exotic, playful beauty. And to the ultimate coconut cookies. 4 ingredients, that let coconut’s glory shine on. These are so good that I can’t even write a short story to go with them. Fluffy, airy, not overly sweet, with a crunchy crust. Coconut perfection. Enjoy!
Well, I looooooooove coconut 😛
Fluffy or crisp? Both! Depends on how you shape your cookies.
makes about 20-22 medium cookies
- 50 grams butter
- 200 grams shredded coconut (unsweetened)
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar (115 grams)*
1. In a small sauce pan, melt the butter. Once melted, remove from heat. Add the coconut and stir well to cover it with the butter. Set aside.
2. In a big bowl, beat the eggs with a hand mixer for a minute. Add the sugar and beat for 5 mins or until fluffy and pale yellow. Add the coconut and fold it in the egg mixture carefully. We want some air to stay in the mixture; it won’t look dense enough to shape. Don’t worry, just chill it in the fridge for at least two hours, preferably overnight: the coconut will absorb the liquids, and you’ll end up with a shapeable dough.
3. Preheat the oven to 180°C (356°F). Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Make the cookies: I use 1/2 tablespoon of dough per cookie. For fluffy cookies, shape them like a round disk of 1 cm height and 2.5 cm diameter. For crunchy ones, spread the dough evenly in a thinner layer. Althernatively, shape them like hearts 😉 This cookie dough is forgiving and easy to shape, so experiment! Leave 3 cm between the cookies. Bake for about 10-12 mins until golden and crisp, or to your taste. Remove from oven and let cool on the baking sheet. Store in an airtight container for up to a week.
5. Try very hard not to eat all the cookies. Fail. Rebake. Repeat.
*These are not too sweet, since I find that too much sugar overshadows the coconut flavour. If you like really sweet treats, just increase the sugar to 3/4 cup.